About Me

Hunter College
Welcome to PR.JOB's blog. We're a group of classmates in an Urban Studies class at Hunter College. Over the course of the semester we were given assignments to explore NYC and write about it in a group blog. These assignments have helped us see the Flipside of New York City. Hope you enjoy our observations. Feel free to leave comments. Thanks for dropping by!

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Trip to Columbus Circle

Oceane Mercadal

Activity #2

A class assignment was to partner up with someone who was going to tell us to go somewhere they liked. I had two options, which were going to Coney Island with someone to experience Nathan’s hot dogs or exploring Columbus Circle. Due to a busy schedule I couldn’t find a friend to accompany me so I decided to take a walk around my second option.

As soon as I got off the D train and saw Columbus Circle I turned around to a guy that was walking by and asked him if that was really Columbus Circle. The poor man looked at me wondering if I was fun of him, and said it was as he laughed and continued to walk.

It was amazing to see how it looked like. When I realized it was only 3 blocks away from Abercrombie & Fitch I was shocked. I go to this store all the time and the area is so different from what Columbus Circle looks like. It’s funny to observe the difference between 2 places, which are so close to one another. When I got off the train it felt like I wasn’t in New York any more. There was so much space. The big metal earth sculpture was so impressing by it’s size and purity. There was a lot of traffic but the place was so large itself that it looks empty at the same time. Columbus Circle being right by Central Park helps to alienate it from the rest of the city.

All the horse carriages lined up by the road made me nostalgic. I’m a horse rider and had to stop my passion when I moved to the city for college. Honestly Columbus Circle is fascinating, I understand why my partner wanted me to go there. You are in the city with out really being in it. There is no much space in this area. The space is confined in the middle of all the skyscrapers, which makes it intimidating at the same time as intriguing. You feel so free by watching what is happening around you, while you’re also a little scared at the same time because the skyscrapers are watching you.

I could say that Columbus is now on of my favorite places in New York City. It is wild and so calm at the same time. There is so much space, which makes you think you are in a complete different place, while the buildings around out are present to remind you were you are. This place is peaceful and energetic at the same time, which is a great aspect to the city. I will definitely go back with a friend to just sit on a bench in between the park and the road and just observe. There is so much to take in at the time that it because overwhelming.

No comments:

Post a Comment