About Me

Hunter College
Welcome to PR.JOB's blog. We're a group of classmates in an Urban Studies class at Hunter College. Over the course of the semester we were given assignments to explore NYC and write about it in a group blog. These assignments have helped us see the Flipside of New York City. Hope you enjoy our observations. Feel free to leave comments. Thanks for dropping by!

Monday, March 22, 2010

Green Flea Market


Oceane Mercadal

Activity 4# (#3)

It was such a beautiful day to visit the Green Flea Market on 77th Street and Columbus Avenue. The market has sections indoor and outdoor; to be honest the outdoor part is nicer especially on such a nice day. The market was crowded but not to the point people were running into one another so it was nice to sort of wonder around and look at what was being displayed. The indoor part of the market was less crowded and personally less interesting to me. You could find antique objects fancy looking clothes and old ties. People were sort of just wondering around in pairs or parents with their kids. I went with a friend and we had fun trying on the glasses and laughing at one another. People were pretty laid back and just enjoying a good day, which gave the market a very smooth atmosphere and tranquility.

It was strange how the inside part of the market was held in the cafeteria of a high school and you had to walk through the corridor full of students lockers to get to it. It felt like I was back to high for a moment, which was funny. Even though the market was interesting inside the air was a little stuffy and therefore my friend and I spent more time outside. There were homemade soap and candles and of course there was a food and sweets stand, which we had to go to.

My favorite stand out of the entire market was the one with all the spices. It was placed right by the entrance so that as soon as you entered the market you would drawn by the colors and scents. This rainbow of colors was amazing and the way the people held there stand was fantastic. I probably could have just stood there the entire time watch and listen to them explain how to use the spices and what to use them for. The smells were hypnotizing, it was fantastic I loved this stand so much I would have wanted to go home with a sample of each spice so they could perfume my apartment but unfortunately I left empty handed from the market as I had no money on me. This was the down part of my day so one advice I’d give to someone would be to not go to the market with out cash because there will always be something you want to buy and the people are so friendly that you literally cannot resist.

No comments:

Post a Comment